2/08/2013

Sick of the cold

I have been so sick of the cold lately.  I heard a high pitched gas engine outside my work the other day and it about put me into a comma thinking it was a weed eater.  I used to appreciate the winter more but doing long runs in single digit temperatures sure wears on ya.  I do have to say that running in the snow has its own allure. I usually take my dog with me out on these runs.  He loves the snow and can just go for hours. I have been spending a lot of time in Corner Canyon, AF Canyon, BST in Draper and Orem as well as all over town.

Orem BST
Ann's Trail heading toward Potato Hill
Draper BST 
BST Draper (Bear Creek)

If anyone has crossed the bridge in the above picture you have notice the picture that the Forrest Service placed of a large Mountain Lion that was taken by a tree cam in 2009.  I have to admit that the first thing I did was take a good look around before continuing on my way and ever since then its always been in the back of my mind.  Stupid picture.

I have also been learning to run with bottle on my chest as apposed to holding them in my hand. My fingers were just getting too numb from the cold.  I started using my Spry vest to hold a single bottle in the pouch on the front and found that I loved the way that it felt as compared with my Wasp pack.  So I decided that I would make an investment in the AK vest and see how that goes for the next while.

I finally solidified my schedule for this year.  Well at least until June.

  • Moab Red Hot 55k
  • Antelope Island Buffalo Run 50k 
  • Zion's Ragnar Trail Ultra Team (50kish)
  • Squaw Peak 50m
I will probably be looking for a 100k in the fall but have not decided to commit to anything as of yet. Right now I am thinking of just having fun in the back country in the awesome spring and summer air.  Besides I have enough to worry about with Red Hot coming up next week.  I am feeling good and even more confident than I was for Antelope Island last year.  My base mileage is a lot more compared with any other year.  I am consistently in the mid 40's and building.  I have been following a training plan in my attempt to get ready for Squaw Peak this spring.  The one thing I still think I am missing is a good pair of gaiters.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in Moab.    

No comments: