7/21/2014

Pulling The Triger...


Recently on a hike up to a local lake, my son wanted to climb up a boulder.  Seeing how proud he was as he reached the top, his thoughts soon turned to fright as he contemplated the trip back down the other side.  My response to him was that if he managed to get up he could make his way back down.  I then went on to ask him what the difference was in getting down versus going up.  He quickly gave me several reasons as to why he couldn't do it.  I reminded him that for every reason he gave there was an equally good reason to say that he could in fact get back down.  He did it.  It was one of those proud father moments until my words started echoing in my ears.

I had been debating on the reality of me doing a 100 mile race for quite sometime.  The final decision came as I was sitting in a room at a company retreat listening to Noelle Pikus-Place talk about her rise to becoming an olympian.  She was talking about a discussion that she had with a bobsled coach about how to overcome fears on the track.

In the story she talked about the differences between our perception and the reality of the challenges that we face.  The story as it goes is this.  First take a length of board and stretch it across a long room on the floor.  The board could be a foot wide, what ever you are comfortable with.  Then walk from one side to the other.  Easy right?  Now take that same length board and raise it 5 or 10 feet off the ground.  Maybe a bit different, but not too challenging.  Now take that same length and put it 100 feet in the air.  Or even to an extreme, how about the Grand Canyon?  Its still the same length board, so whats the difference?  Maybe you are thinking about the height.  Maybe its the speed of the wind, or maybe its some other perception that you have.  The reality really is that nothing has changed, you can still walk across that board.

 Its just your mind that is stopping you.  

 Its just your mind that is stopping you.  

 Its just your mind that is stopping you.  

 Its just your mind that is stopping you!  

Well what happened next was some what of a mixed emotion.  Every other race I had registered for I had greeted with a "I'm gonna die, but at least it will be fun!".  After clicking the submit button on Ultra Signup was a sense of finality.  This was something that I had wanted for a very long time.  Something that ever since I had registered for my first marathon and then my first ultra I thought would be quite an achievement.  So here it is.  I finally have done it.  

The Bear 100


The graph above shows the elevation for the race, but more accurately described my emotions after clicking the signup button that day.  So September 26-27 will be my day.  Its going to be an awesome day.  I am sure this will push my limits, and take me to places I have yet to have been before. But I will drink it all in and take it when it comes. 

The amazing thing to me is that initially I felt alone in this journey. But instantly I had the support of both my wife and my dad.  And then more stated to come, friends that offered their support and even some that said they wanted to help, even pace (Scott, Dennis, Ben, Chris and Zann).  Kendall Wimmer even helped with getting a race plan together. To say that I feel blessed is an understatement. 












1 comment:

Matt said...

Awesome! You are SO ready for this. You've been preparing well over this past year and will go into it strong, lean and mean! Nice job - hopefully we'll see you out there!