1/04/2015

Appreciation

It was 10:00 am with a temperature of around 15 degrees as I made slow progress along the Ridge Line trail in American Fork Canyon.  The trees were still covered with snow from the weekends storm and seemed more like a post card to me.  The sky was a brilliant blue with nothing but the sun to keep it company.  Except for a solitary set of snowshoe footprints the trail was not as packed as before.
Ridgeline Trail - American Fork Canyon
It happened, much as it had the first 20 times before. The technical term for it is called "post holing". The snow had given way beneath my feet as I stood, only a torso above the snow line.  I was laughing, enjoying the moment.  The sun glowed, the the cold enveloped, and I was happy, an avalanche of wonder and joy. I had missed this.  That specific moment when a run envelops you, and everything stands still.

The moments in your life that define you can be so poignant.  As a husband and father you get many of those moments that are personal and sacred, shared between loved ones.  Those moments trump all and embed themselves in your heart, forever cherished.  Still others take on a different and yet very personal meaning.  Ultra and trail running has been the teacher that I never expected.

Trail 047 - American Fork Canyon
The Bear 100 was one of those moments that I learned so much. As Kendall said it "It's now permanently etched in your soul. " Yet there were so much more, so many times that I see and feel so vividly in my mind.  Humanity.  Not the type where you give money to someone on the street or donate you clothes to a shelter. Those are all worthy causes, but the humanity that reaches out and touches someone so personally it leaves a permanent mark.  That is what I believe is at the core of this community.  I have seen and experienced it too many times to count. Some of these still move me so much that its hard to talk about them let alone relate them to anyone else.  When you part your lips but only the sound of a whisper comes out, almost a hushed reverence.  Myst from your breath on a cold morning.

Friends: People you share moments with.  Here are just a few moments that I happen to have photographs of.  But yet its only a small sample of some of the people I have been privileged to run with.  To anyone else not mentioned, thank you for letting me share the trail with you. 

Zann, Tim, Scott - Sunset Peak
Me, Chris, Steve - Utah Tripple Crown
Me, Chris, Same, Ben, Jeremy, Jeff - Pfeifferhorn & White Baldy 
Kendall, Jen, Leslie - Deseret Peak 
Me, Ben, Jennilyn, Aaron - Jennilyn's WURL

Thank you everyone, for making this year possible.  Without your support, generosity and encouragement it would not have been possible. As for 2015, I look forward to making new memories, adventures and stories to tell. And lastly...

A Prayer









2 comments:

Sam said...

Looking forward to hitting the trails with you again this year.

Sam said...

Looking forward to hitting the trails with you again this year.