4/07/2013

Buffalo Run 50k Race Report

Waaaaa hooooo!  What a great day for a fantastic race.  Jim  Skaggs sure does know how to put on a great event.  Just like the fall version this one turned out to be the best 50k I have done yet.  I was so stoked when I finished I wish I had done the 50 mile.

A week before the race the temperature was supposed to be in the mid 50's and sun.  The week before temperatures took a nose dive and fell to the 20s.  Friday night it snowed on the southern part of the island.  From the sounds of it the 100 milers had quite a chilly night.  That morning the temperature was  brisk 27 degrees, but at least it was sunny.

Given the "fun" time I had at Moab I was bound and determined not to repeat the same issues that I had.  I was determined to keep to my fueling schedule and keep my attitude in check the best I could.  I had also made a shift to move from my Altra Superiors to my New Balance Minimus MT 10's.  I have been training almost exclusively in my MT 10's but was hesitant due to their minimal padding to use them on a distance over 20 miles.  I stressed over it but my dad was going to be at the White Rock aide station, so I figured I could change shoes if needed.

We started off and everything was very familiar.  We headed out and up the hill and I started reminding myself to slow down and to not push too hard. I fell into a good pace and surprising enough I kept running.  Heading through the first loop I reminded myself to stick to my fueling schedule and to keep eating solids.  That always seems to be the key for me.  I ran the switchbacks on the split rock loop trail and just kept going. I was surprised at how well I felt.

By the time I had reached the starting line to begin my second loop I was starting to feel it a bit. In the back of my head I started wondering if I was heading for another hard bonk.  I met my dad who was awesome enough to meet me at the aide station at the gate.  I probably spent a little too much time talking with him, but I was happy to see him there.  I remember heading back out for the second loop and having the argument to run or walk that first up hill.  I decided that I would just "try" to see how far I could get running.  Surprisingly enough, I almost made it to the top.

It was about at the beacon knob trail head that I could feel the extent of how hard I had been pushing myself.  Two guys passed me and it made me feel like I was standing still.  I was mad at myself, and promised at that point that I wouldn't let the mental aspect get the best of me this time.  Coming up to the Split Rock Aide station I was feeling better, but still not as good as I wanted to.  I kept focusing on fueling, music, and talking with others when I could.

By the time I had made the loop I was experiencing a new feeling.  Maybe it was all the attention to fueling and my mental state but I felt fantastic.  Not wanting to jinks myself I headed out and kept my head forward just doing what my body told me to do.  By the time I hit the upper White Rock loop I just let it go.  I could see people ahead of me and I wanted to pass them.  I pushed, it felt like I could chase down anyone.  It was completely new to me.  Seeing times below 9 then 8 and hovering in the 7n's.  Mentally I was freaking out but loving every second of it and I only had one small hill to the finish line.

Heading up I could see my family there.  I love that feeling.  I see there faces and it almost brings me to tears.  Its probably the one thing that I look forward to the most when I race.  I finished, what a great feeling.  It was a huge personal goal for me and a great confidence builder.


Now for the moral of the story.  I felt so great that I just continued with my training with out any regard to how my body was feeling.  I pushed harder and tried to do more than I should have.  For the most part I avoided injury but in reality it put me into burnout mode.  I should have been taking the time just to cross train, relax and just be with my family.  But two weeks after I could feel it.  It was not the best for a mental state.  I tried to ignore it but on my long run it hit me like a ton of bricks and I felt like I was right back at Moab.  Lesson learned.  Now to get my mind right again and back on track.  Fortunately I have Ragnar Trail coming up in a few weeks.  I am looking forward to hanging out with some good people and having a good time before the final push for Squaw Peak. 

I also managed to get some recon in from Big Springs.  Looks like Windy Pass still has a good amount of snow on it.   
Windy Pass from Big Springs



No comments: