9/03/2012

Pride

Pride is always one of those things that I have viewed with mixed emotions.  I never know how to take being "prideful".  But this weekend was one of those times where I just couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of pride.  After being sick all week with a cold and still suffering a bit, I was bound and determined to get at least one good run in for labor day.  I really wanted to preview part of the course for the upcoming antelope island 50k.  I called my dad and packed the family up and headed to Layton Sunday night so that I could run Monday morning.

Not wanting to head out alone I asked my dad if he could join me.  I told him he could bike it if he wanted and I would do my best to keep up.  The plan was to start in White Rock Bay and take the loop heading south to Split Rock Loop and then come back and finish the White Rock Bay Loop on the east side ending up back at the start.

Antelope Island Trails
My dad surprised me by saying that he wanted to try to run it with me.  He though that he might just do half and that I could catch up with him after finishing the Split Rock Loop.  We packed up early and headed out to the Island on Monday morning.  It was nice and cool for our start.  We headed out in the morning air with the sun just barely starting to shine on Stansbury Island.  Right off the bat we had buffalos on and near the trail.  I forget how big they are close up.  Thankfully for us they graciously moved off the trail.

Start of the White Rock Bay loop


Well my dad has always been full of surprises.  After reaching the turnoff for split rock I kept going for a bit figuring my dad had turned and headed south.  Much to my surprise I could see him continuing on the trail.  I stopped for a second wondering if I should head back and tell him he missed the turn off.  So  I headed back and talked to him for a second.  He said he was feeling good and wanted to try the full loop!  I was amazed and super stoked to be able to have my dad along with me for the whole trip!   I couldn't help but smile knowing that he was there with me.  It felt good to have him running with me.

Looking South from the Split Rock Loop
 Heading down the switchbacks on the Split Rock loop I could see where we were going to end up running for the 50k.  A part of me just wanted to keep going, see if I could make it to the Ranch but fortunately reason prevaled.  We finished the loop and I headed off ahead to the point and then doubled back and ran the rest of the way with my dad back to the start.  

My dad
Which brings me back to the title of my post.  Pride.  I was so proud of my dad for toughing out the entire run.  This marked the farthest he had run in a long time.  For me he is a source of inspiration and strength.  The kind of person you are glad you know and someone you admire.  I am proud of my dad and all that he has accomplished.  So here is to my father and to many more runs!     


No comments: