10/07/2012

Antelope Island 50k - Post Race

Yesterday I ran my first 50k on Antelope Island.  This race is put on by Jim Skaggs a over 10 year veteran of ultra running. He puts on a fantastic race with awesome volunteers.  The weeks coming up to the race I was not feeling all that great.  I had been sick, fighting injury, somewhat burned out on running (mostly because of roads), and time commitments were conflicting with getting out and getting on the trails.

About two weeks ago I was feeling all of the above when I had a small window to get out and run on a Saturday.  I stressed over where I should go.  I decided heck with it and headed up to Timp.  I knew I wouldn't be able to reach the top but I was going to see how far I could get.  I few up to the saddle running the entire way, something that I had not been able to do before.  It felt good and it felt like I had restored a part of the spirit that I had been missing.  That spirit built and injuries faded as I approached race day.
Goats on Timp
The week of the race flew by and fall was definitely in the air with race day lows projected to be in the upper thirties. I wondered if I was going to be able to enjoy the race or just freeze to death.  I spent Friday night at my dad house up in Layton so that I could get as much sleep as I could.  I woke early in the morning before my alarm and started to get ready.  I headed out the door and I could feel the chill in the air.

After reaching the island and the starting line most people were huddled in their cars with the heaters on trying to keep warm.  I felt bad for the 100k's that started two hours earlier, it must have been very cold.    Dennis had decided to register for the race as well and we met on the island.  He joined me in my car, my father soon joined us as well as we all huddled to get warm.

Someone nocked on my window and told me that the pre-race meeting was starting soon.  I headed over to the tent that was completely full of people.  I tried to listen from outside but I couldn't hear over the chattering of my teeth.  Jim started us off promptly at 8:00 on our new and improved timing mat (aka line in the dirt).
Freezing at the start
We headed off going south and climbing the hill that separates the start line from next bay over.  We quickly made our way up and along the ridge talking with people on the way.  Everyone thinned out very quickly which made it nice.  Dennis was trying as hard as he could to hold himself back, something that he would repeat often through out the race.  I told him to go ahead but he wouldn't.  I am sure he could have finished sub 5 hours if he had.

Coming into the first aide station I felt strong and confident.  This was the section of trail that dad and I had ran in August.  I keept to my fueling schedule as well with a gel every 30-45 min followed by a salt tab shortly after.  I had also brought some ezekiel bread in tortilla form (which proved to be an awesome choice).  After the switchbacks on the main trail heading up we came to the point where the trail followed the old road around the back side of the island.  We headed on down to where the trail runs along beach.  This is where I ran into my first real difficulty.  I love my Altra Lone Peaks, they are agueably the best shoes that I own, but the tail piece of 1/4 inch plastic on the back on the back that is supposed to prevent rocks from jumping up and into the shoe turned into a shovel.  I started shoveling tons of sand into the back of my shoe, which I could feel making its way down to my toes.  I was not happy about this.

After getting off the beach we started our biggest climb on the course making our way to the ridge line and the third aide station.  It was steep and I did a lot of walking.  By the time I made it to the top I was feeling tired and somewhat unsure about what I had signed up for.  I caught up with Dennis at the aide station.  He must have waited 10 minutes for me.  I was surprised he wasn't doing his normal pushups.  I took a second to talk with the volunteers and get some good food in my system before heading off.  They mentioned that last year they had almost a foot of snow.  Suddenly I didn't feel like complaining much.

On the way down to Garr ranch my stomach started to feel upset.  I wasn't sure if it was something I ate at the last aide station or just me feeling tired.  I got to the dirt road almost to the ranch and had to walk.  I thought I was going to loose everything I had eaten and it was only at mile 18.  I was getting really concerned that I might be hitting the wall, that everything was just going to stop.  I almost felt as if my dream of becoming an ultra runner was going to end right there on that dusty windy road.  After some walking I felt like running again.  Dennis in his awesomeness forged ahead and was busy concurring the trail.  As he reminded me later by his famous saying "Some people are here to run a race, others are just here to bag kills".  He's a stud.

I dropped in behind another runner and just kept moving forward.   Suddenly as if out of no where everything changed.  I didn't start running 7 min miles, or even 9 but I started to feel good, really good. Something in my head started to click and everything started to fall into place.  I put my headphones on and tried to remember my posture.  Coming into 9 mile gate aide station I felt fantastic.  I hadn't dreamed of feeling this good at 20 miles.  It was something I really didn't expect.  Shortly after mile 22 on the Skyline Marathon I tanked.  I was worried about a repeat, but it wasn't ever going to materialize.

The volunteers at 9 mile gate deserve a standing ovation.  I believe they would have given me a foot rub if I had asked them :).  I kept going, up and down the rollers feeling fantastic.  I didn't dare to hope for more or even think about it in my head for fear that it would all just disappear in the blink of an eye. We hit the last aide station and everything seemed to accelerate from there.  It was just amazing.  I felt like I was having the time of my life.  I had never expected to feel like this not now, especially approaching 28+ miles.  It almost felt like I was running with angels.  Kind of sounds crazy now, but it all made sense to me then.

Dennis was awesome and a true friend.  He stuck with me all the way to the end.  We crested the ridge to head back down to the staring line, and he got fired up.  We were both screaming and yelling charging down the hill like a couple of crazy kids all hopped up on caffeine.  It was truly a great finish.   Crossing that line in the dirt was everything I had ever hoped for. We crossed the line at 5:51:51.  It was a respectable time for me.

Dennis and I at the end
It was an adventure. Something that defines you and who you are.  The ups, downs and the in-between, I know I will cherish every moment.  Amazing and spiritual are the only words to describe it, any other words just would not do.  I owe a lot to my supportive wife for supporting me on this journey.  She was with me every step of the way.  The only other person I can thank is my Father in Heaven.  I could never have taken this on without his loving support.  Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way.

I do have to say there was one disappointment at the end of the race, the Moab Red Hot 50k is full :(.  Hopefully I can find my next challenge soon.  Zions 100k or traverse anyone?



No comments: