8/20/2013

The Universe Hates Me - A love story.

The following is my Skyline race report.  In the event this post does not make sense please disregard and wait for my Sapper Joe report next week.  I am sure it will be even better :)

Friday


I had decided last minute (two weeks ago after Kings) that I was apparently in good enough physical shape to attempt to run the Skyline Marathon before the Sapper Joe 50k this weekend.  So with the bright idea of conserving the environment I promptly boarded a train heading for Layton to meet my Dad.  Trying to get to the train we realized that the road was closed.  My wife successfully did an end run around American Fork to get us there on time.

Upon reaching SLC central the train conductor promptly told us that we would be waiting an undefined amount of time for the train next to us.  It seems it had broken down and needed to be moved back to the yard.  After 15 min of waiting we proceeded to the North Temple station.  (BTW the broken down train was still there).

When we reached the station, the conductor then told us that we had to wait for the previously mentioned train to pass us on the way to the yard.  We waited.  It wasn't long till the train passed (maybe 10 min) and then the train pushing the other train returned past our platform.  I assumed all was well and that we would be moving shortly.  Ohhhhh was I wrong!

The conductor then informs everyone left on the train that there is a chemical spill in Woods Cross and that we will now have to use a bus bridge to get to our destination.  For a while I toyed with the meaning of "Bus Bridge" and couldn't come up with any other imagery other than busses being destroyed by trains. I was ticked.

After packing into a bus I was right up by the driver standing for my ride to Farmington, that is of course after we stop at Woods Cross to let those passengers off.  Well as it turns out Google Maps on an iPhone is the best way to guide a bus bridge to its destination.  Especially when the said chemical spill is blocking the best route to the station.  I do have to admit that the driver of the bus was a very nice guy and we did have a great conversation moving from station to station.

Thank goodness for my Dad, he saved me.  Instead of Layton he came and got me in Farmington.  I was glad to be off the bus and in a normal car. Oh and another BTW, the train that I left at North Temple? Ya it showed up right when I was leaving Farmington.  FTW!


So since I don't have any photos from the race I decided to include the music that fit the feeling of the day. (Some are sarcastic, ok most) Hence Luckiest Man above.

Saturday - RACE DAY!


The good news?  I didn't have to ride the busses to the starting line!  My dad was kind enough to drive me to the start (He ran the Half, and rocked it).  For starters the morning was warm.  I mean really warm.  It was going to be a hot one.  Race started at 6am sharp, so I decided to head out with out a headlamp.  Which turned out to be just fine.  After stumbling over some rocks, and maybe people we were off and up the mountain.

About a half a mile in I started to notice that my left food was beginning to go numb.  I figured in all my morning grogginess I had simply tightened my shoes too tight. So I stopped to fix them.  And then again at mile 1 and 1.2 and 1.3 and 1.5 and 2 and... Well by then I couldn't feel my left foot. It was so numb that I could hardly step on it.  I was getting ticked.  By mile 3 I had enough and resolve to just remove the shoe and see what was wrong.

I found a nice rock, but noticed a pile of horse crud with flies buzzing around, so I decided it would be better to find another spot.  Well those weren't flies, they happened to be large black wasps.  The first one hit me in my right hand and the second was in my right leg. It was like someone shot me with a pellet gun.  I said some things that I don't recall (ok I lie) and ran to the next bend in the trail.  They only thing I remember is the screams from other people getting stung behind me and the onset of a seriously bad attitude.   I did manage to forget about my left foot until mile 4.5.  There I undid my shoe completely and just let the laces hang.  It felt better by mile 5 and so did my finger and leg.


American Authors - Believer seemed to be a good fit here.  "I am just a believer that things are going to get better!" Well they did.  I crested the ridge line just below Mt Ben Lomond and the view was amazing. I remember last year this is where I got my high for the race.  I loved running the ridge line toward the North Ogden divide.  I put on my headphones and headed out for a good time putting all that crap behind me.  

Oh and did I mention that I hadn't tied my shoe yet? Yup.  It didn't end well either. I did a flying superman down my right side into some dust and rocks.  Banged up my right knee, hip and hand.  What is it with my right side anyway?  My bad attitude had hid itself not too far away and it came storming back.  I was done and pissed and looking for my first DNF.  I didn't care.  As soon as I reached the Half starting point I was done.  


Carousels song titled "Lets Go Home".  It just fits. I had every intention of stopping and going home.  That was until Sam and Steve came in behind me and taunted me with a "You let us catch up". That was all I needed.  I knew from that point with my attitude it was going to be an all out slug fest but I didn't care.  I was going to make this one count!  Well maybe at least hurt... a lot....

The rest was rather uneventful.  I made descent time for me.  Completely forgot to take care of my nutrition and bonked hard on the last 3 miles.  But in the end I finished and I didn't let it beat me. Well maybe physically and mentally, but I still had my pride! lol.  In the end I finished almost 1:20 head of last year at 5:05.  I really wanted sub 5 but I would take anything on a day like that.  At least I finished and kept with it. I learned a lot.  Seems like I always do.

Here to seeing how it all works out with Sapper Joe.  It will be another adventure I am sure. Oh and I lied I do have a photo.  Just to prove I finished...