6/11/2014

Squaw Peak 50

Saddle of Box Elder w/ Jerry and Scott
The Squaw Peak 50 turned out to be more than just a race for me.  I had been looking forward to it all year.  I trained thinking about Squaw not Zions.  Even though I wanted redemption for a 100k I wanted to know just how much I had improved and it was the perfect event to find out.

After Zion's I started to come up with a training plan for Squaw.  I quickly decided that I wanted to make sure I was getting my milage in, but I was not going to plan specific distances for each week.  I had trouble recovering from Zion's and didn't really get my legs back for a few weeks.  I tried to take it easy, but with most of the Wasatch opening up I really wanted to be up on the trails.  It just felt like I hit setback after setback, a cold, stress for building a house and work.  I was wondering if I was going to be ready.  I sure didn't feel like it.
Elevation for the year
At the end of May just a week before the race, and on a whim I decided to look at my stats for the year. Looking at mileage I was up from the previous months, which made be feel like I wasn't a slacker after all.  But then I switched the view over to elevation, apparently I had been getting my vert in, because I more than doubled my elevation for April.  Seeing this made me feel much better about the way I had been feeling.  The thing I had been debating over however was what would I finish in.  I decided to set a goal of a half hour earlier than last years 12:12:00.  I felt like if I could just go sub 12 hours it would be good enough.

June 7th rolled around and I felt numb.  No nerves before the race, although I tossed and turned the night before thinking about my drop bags.  At the starting line it was much the same thing, just a peaceful calm in pre-morning cold.  I found a couple of Wastach Mountain Wranglers and chatted it up, talking about the race and other things.  Before long we were down the trail.  Instantly I remembered two things.  First try not to get stuck behind the line of people going up the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST). Second how I loved the sight of the headlamps running through the tunnel of trees on the Provo River Trail. It was one of my favorite things from last year.

Going up the BST I started to wonder if I was moving too fast.  I wasn't pushing super hard but rather just a very nice run up the trail to the pipeline trail.  It felt good, I felt good, but I was worried that I might be pushing too hard.  I remember something that I heard several times over. "Just do what your body wants/can and it will work itself out".  So that's what I did.  I figured if for some reason if I pushed too hard, at least I would have had the good parts too.
Taken by Galen before Kolob Overlook
I met a guy named Scott on the ascent out of Rock Canyon, we had met a couple of months before at the Curley Springs Trail above Battle Creek.   It was his first ultra distance and he was doing fantastic. I was still doing well, but the thought kept in the back of my head "Maybe your going too fast".  I ignored it and kept going.  The part from Squaw Peak to Kolob Overlook is some of the most scenic parts of the race with sweeping views of the valley amongst the pine and aspens.  Its hard to not get lost running through this section.

The decent to Pole Haven on the other hand is a completely different story.  Its almost symbolic as to say, "That was fun, wasn't it? Now lets get back to the race." I kept pushing to get to the aide station and have a break.  On the way down, I kept thinking about the road up Hobble Creek.  Its usually hot and not very fun.   It helped keep my mind occupied till Pole Haven.  At the aide station I ran into some more Wrangler's, Josh and Kendall.

Then came the road.  It was hot and boring. The support from people driving up to the next aide station was nice.  Lots of Cowbells and cheering.  I kept my eyes forward and just kept moving.  One of the best things about Ultras is the aide stations and the people.  These people sit out in the sun all day long to support a couple hundred people they don't know.  I have to say without question, the people and stations at this race are awesome. Coming into Sheep Creek I could hear the music blaring and was greeted by a nice girl handing out otter pops. Last year when I came in I remember hearing AC/DC Highway to Hell.  Which could be fitting, as it was getting hot. ;)
Little Valley w/ family, mile 32
I rolled into Little Valley strong and happy.  The climbs felt good and I had a smile on my face that I couldn't remove if I tried.  Seeing the family also helped. I restocked, said goodbyes and headed out for the hardest part of the race.  The people at the aide station had told us that the next station Windy Pass, was out of water.  So I added an extra water bottle for a total of 3 for the hot climb out of the valley.

At this point some of the course had also lost its flagging.  If I had not done the course previously I would have been hopelessly lost.  It was here that I caught up to Chris who had started hiking from Hobble Creek earlier in the day.  It was good to see another friendly face.  Shortly after we started up the hot exposed switchbacks to the saddle of Bald Knoll.

Kendall who was pacing someone else had caught up to me.  I was dreading the upcoming climb up Bozung hill and Kendall's enthusiasm was rubbing off on me.  I decided to try to see if I could keep up for a bit and enjoyed the boost.  I remember very distinctly Kendall singing "Lets Go Fly a Kite...", which I would later wake up at midnight singing.  I also remember asking what time they were shooting for, mentioning that they were shooting for sub 11.  I was somewhat jealous, I would have loved to come in under 11 but just didn't think it was possible.

They dropped me shortly after the saddle but I managed to maintain the inertia going into Bozung hill. I was flying and it felt good and I didn't want to stop.  Bozung hill is like slamming into a wall with 1,200 feet in elevation gain in about a mile.  Its brutal, hands on knees, straight up climbing.  I was feeling it, but tried to maintain my momentum and attitude as I climbed.

Heading into Windy Pass I had a whole new outlook on the race.  I was feeling great and I knew I was going to finish strong as long as I kept my nutrition in check.  It was also for this steep and super rocky downhill section that I bought my Altra Olympus shoes.  Last year my feet were feeling very trashed from this section.  With out that extra padding I don't think my feet would have survived the 6 miles of downhill with all the rocks.
Finish
I hit Big Springs and was still ready to go.  I dropped my pack with the family and headed out for the finish.  I knew by then I could do sub 11 and I was bound and determined that I was going to hit it. I crossed the finish in 10:47, something I didn't think I would have been able to do.  I had a permanent smile on for several days after.  It felt great to not only achieve goals, but exceed them.  Its a memory that I will always cherish. The only problem with having such a successful race, is what do you do next?  Kachina Mosa, Bear, Pony Express, or Antelope.....

No comments: