6/09/2014

Red Hot 55k, Zion 100k



So I wanted to give me some time to let my last race the Red Hot 55k, Zion 100k, Squaw Peak 50 to sink in a little. Has it really been that long?  Im sorry blog, I haven't meant to neglect you.  Its just life has been flying by with new responsibilities at work, building a new house and well, running. 

First and foremost I wanted to say, wow.  What a difference a year can make.  I feel better overall with my running ability and I can see the improvements against races I did last year. I have made friends with a bunch of people from the Wasatch Mountain Wranglers Group, which has been great in terms of support and knowledge. 

So where does that leave me?

Moab 55k



At the start
Ok ya, so Red Hot. I made the decision to run with less this year.  Experience has taught me that I don't really need as much as I think I do.  In terms of nutrition and being a pack rat, I used to be a big one. This time around I kept it simple with a handheld, shorts and a belt. I packed, 8 Vi fuels (used 7), salt tabs, 2 Nutella tortillas (which i didn't eat), my shuffle (which i didn't use), and a mini survival kit (TP and a small roll of Duct Tape).  

Picture from Kendall Wimmer w/ some really awesome people.
My plan worked out well, except for some cramping at the end.  I learned that I could climb longer and harder than I actually thought.  Which would help me at Squaw Peak. I improved my time by over 30 min but still didn't beat 6 hours.  I was bummed, but for the first race of the year, it felt great and I was just happy to be running in shorts.  I also happened to get a mini vacation out of it with the wife, so hey I can't complain :)

Zion 100k

The Zion 100k was redemption for me.  And I really needed it after my disaster last year at the Antelope 100k.  I was bound and determined to finish.  I pushed myself harder and longer in training than I had ever done, including a couple of 70 mile weeks.  Still, I didn't feel as prepared as I wanted to be.  I let a couple of non-running things stress me out way too much for almost a month before the race. But still I had trained through the winter and I knew I was going to get it done this year.

It was new for me to leave everything behind and head out somewhere else.  I had planned on camping with the Orange Monkeys, Sam, Steve, and DJ.  But I wussed out and decided to stay in a motel instead.   I can't say that it was a much better choice then sleeping under the stars and watching rocky, but it worked, although I think I lost some respect.  I left early on Thursday so I could spend some time hiking around Zion NP.  I just love the raw beauty of that place.

Friday morning came around and I rolled out of bed and made it to the starting line.  It was there I first got a sense of jealousy. I knew I wanted to do the hundred, but I just kept telling myself to have patience and that it will pay off eventually.

Starting off I felt great, I felt my climbing legs engage as we took off up our first plateau. Looking back down I could see the string of headlamps bouncing in the early morning night.  That has to be one of my favorite sights. It felt good, really good as I got to the first aide station I grabbed some food and took off. Steve and Sam were not far behind.  The downhill was good, I met a guy from back east.  I couldn't understand exactly what he was saying between every swear word, but I got the gist.  The thing I love about this community is that everyone cares for everyone else.  There are no enemies, just people you get to share a journey with, and an awesome one at that.

When we hit the flats/rollers between the plateaus I felt like I lost a bit of energy, still I kept going as I got passed by a couple of people.  I hit the cutoff for the 100k route, headed over to the next aide station feeling even more tired.  I pulled out the shuffle, put my head down and went to work.  Then something magical happened for me.  I got a surge of energy that I had not really experienced before.  I started cruising like it was a fun run, for almost 8 miles I took the ups and downs without even a second thought.

Then it happened....  And by it, I mean the monster climb up to the second plateau.  At mile 30 it was a hands on knees  straight up 1000+ ft what am I doing here climb. By the time I got to the top, my thoughts were a wreck, the high was gone, and I was in one bad mood.  After finishing the climb it was nice to see a friendly face. Jennilyn was there crewing for her friend Cherri and she was kind enough to let me mooch off of her whenever I came though an aide station she was at.  And apparently she was making a dance party video as well.  Which I would have known so I could have brushed up on my dance moves...


Long story short, I was in my cave for the entire time I was on that plateau, I was hating the slick rock, and having a hard time keeping focus.  When I look back at it, it wasn't that it was all bad, or that I was really hurting, it was my attitude.  Maybe happy on the outside, but inside it was brooding. I had let the course get to me.  By the time I got off the plateau something magical happened again, maybe it was the 20oz of coke that Jennilyn loaded me up with or maybe it was just the home stretch but with a little more than 6 miles to go everything came back.  I fired it up and ran it home.  Feeling great and knowing that  I had finally got my redemption.  13:03 was my time and I was happy with it.  The one thing that still got me was when I saw the buckles for the 100 mile finishers.  I wanted one and it has lit a fire ever since.  I want that hundred mile buckle.  When it comes this fall or next spring, it will be mine...

My awesome custom finisher medal

No comments: